Faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing Dean Welcome :
Our Dear Students,
Certainly you are proud to belong to Pharos University; this distinguished non-governmental university launched in the heart of the Bride of the Mediterranean, Alexandria.
As the ancient pharos minarets enlightened the pathway of the ships in the dark, Pharos University was founded with the objective of offering a high and standard educational program to its students and an impressive influence on the neighboring areas in Alexandria.
The Faculty of Pharmacy – Pharos University offers a well balanced high quality program, which matches and line with the international Standards The distinguished staff members of the faculty are doing their best for their students in all aspects scientifically and socially.
The university offers excellent activity opportunities for the students and values their participation in local and international events.
We are wishing you a fruitful academic life within your faculty and a lot of fun among your colleagues and staff members.
The faculty comprises the six following departments; between brackets are the corresponding digits for department code. Click to view courses offered and supervised by each department:
The Faculty Of Pharmacy And Drug Manufacturing Comprises The Following Facilities:
- A well equipped Industrial Pharmacy Lab (IPL) with the aim of introducing the undergraduate students to the state of-the art technologies applied to the development of various drug dosage forms.
The IPL is divided into two large units:
- The Drug Manufacturing Unit: in which the student is learning the small scale production of different dosage forms.
- Quality Control Unit: in which the student evaluates the prepared dosage forms by carrying out the specific quality control testing.
- Pharmacy practices and Clinical pharmacy unit designed to provide students with necessary skills and knowledge before their training in the community pharmacy and clinical pharmacy to ensure a high-quality advanced pharmaceutical practice experience.
- Drug Research Center The center includes a number of specialized research laboratories in the field of Pharmaceutical research, and a laboratory for scientific apparatus.
- Highly equipped lecture halls, classrooms and laboratories to serve the educational process.
- A highly equipped library for scientific research.
- An animal house to serve laboratory testing for students, as well as scientific research.
- Local and international health ministries and institutions
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Public Pharmacies & Hospitals Pharmacies
- Pharmaceutical development & manufacturing
- Scientific research and academic centers
- Drug quality control
- Forensic analysis of toxins
- Analysis of food and water
- Clinical laboratory testing
- Health care and patients advisory services
A: The minimum grade for admission is set in accordance with the resolutions passed by the Supreme Council of Egyptian Universities. The minimum grade for admission was )90%( for the last academic year 2018-2019.
Q: When is the final result of admission announced?
A: After the admission phases are ended, the admission final result is announced on the official website of Pharos University and the university Facebook page, however, the student is not considered officially registered until the tuition fees are paid and the university is given a seal of approval from the Ministry of Higher Education to the student final acceptance.
Q: Is there a high priority for early applicants?
A: There is no high priority for early applicants as long as applications are submitted during the fixed enrolment period. Admission is competitive in which applicants with top scores and complete documents are considered in the first place.
Q: What is the duration of study at the faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing? And how many courses do students take in each semester?
A: The Old System
In accordance with the Credit Hour System, the duration of study is 5 years; two semesters in each academic year (spring and fall semesters). There is also the summer semester which is allocated for improving achieved scores or finishing uncompleted courses.
Each semester has 6-8 courses which are chosen according to the study programme of each semester.
- The New System
Starting from the academic year 2019-2020, a new system is going to be applied. The duration of study in this system is six years (five academic years+ one year of internship), thereby the degree title is changed into “Pharm D” and “Pharm D (Clinical Pharmacy)”. The first year is allocated for studying basic sciences and specialization is made from the second year.
Q: What is the education system recently applied at the faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing?
A: It is a new system of education, according to which the five- year academic degree (B Pharm) is substituted for “Pharm D” and “Pharm D (Clinical Pharmacy)” degrees. The duration of study of these academic degrees is six years (five academic years+ one year of internship), in addition to 100 hours of field training the student should take during summer holidays (after the third year) in public and private sector pharmacies as well as other pharmacy-related places. These degrees qualify the graduates for practicing the profession of pharmacy after passing the profession test.
Q: What is the internship year?
A: It is the sixth year in the “Pharm D” and “Pharm D (Clinical Pharmacy)” programmes which provides the interns with periodical training in pharmacy-related places. This year of internship has a definite timetable, with different areas of training. This year of internship undergoes supervision, following-up, evaluation and documentation on the part of academic staff members.
Q: How does the student register for the courses in every semester?
A: The student registers for the courses of the first semester through the PUA administration. From the beginning of the second semester, the faculty assigns an academic advisor for every group of students to carry out the registration process instead. This takes place at the beginning of every semester after the academic advisor meets with each student to learn about their academic status.
Q: Is the student specialized in a certain major during his/her academic study?
A: No, the student takes courses from different areas of specialization such as:
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Pharmacognosy and Natural Products
- Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology
The student chooses between “Pharm D” and “Pharm D (Clinical Pharmacy)” programmes after the first year. The duration of study of these programmes is six years (five academic years+ one year of internship).
Q: What is the main medium of instruction in the university?
A: English is the main medium of instruction in Pharos University, except in the case of the curricula of both the courses of Arabic Language and Pharmacy Legislations which are taught in Arabic language.
Q: What are the work fields and training opportunities available for “Pharm D” and “Pharm D (clinical pharmacy)” programmes?
- Pharmaceutical companies and factories.
- Medical equipment manufacturers.
- Cosmetics manufacturers.
- Dietary supplements companies and factories.
- Medicinal plants companies and factories.
- Pharmaceutical products distributors and stores.
- Public and private sector hospitals.
- Centres and units providing health services.
- Institutions affiliated to forensic medicine.
- Ministry of Health.
- Drug control and regulatory authorities.
- Medical research, bioavailability and clinical studies institutes.
- Public and private sector pharmacies.
- Media and pharmaceutical marketing organizations.
- Working as a faculty member/teaching assistant for holders of MSc or PhD.
Q: Are the graduates of the faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing- Pharos University allowed to obtain the card of the Pharmacists’ Syndicate and the profession practicing licence?
A: Yes, the graduates of the faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing are allowed to obtain all the required documents from the Pharmacists’ Syndicate to practice the pharmacy profession, taking into consideration that all the graduates of the faculties of Pharmacy all over Egypt have to undergo a unified test for obtaining the profession practicing licence. This resolution is going to be applied from the academic year 2019-2020.
Q: Are the graduates of the faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing- Pharos University allowed to apply for postgraduate studies?
- Yes, they are allowed to apply for postgraduate studies at all the faculties of Pharmacy all over Egypt, with the stipulation that they meet all the required conditions.
The faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing at Pharos University is also pleased to announce admission open for a master’s degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Q: Is there an after graduation assignment for the graduates of the faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing at Pharos University?
A: Yes, there is an after graduation assignment for the graduates of the faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing at Pharos University, the same as the graduates of the faculties of Pharmacy at public universities.
Pharmaceutical sciences are more than ever involved in a multidisciplinary fashion with the ultimate goal to improve the public health and quality of life. Bearing this mission, Faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing, Pharos University in Alexandria, Egypt has the pleasure to welcome you to the upcoming First PUA International Conference on Advances in Pharmaceutical Sciences, taking place on October 27-29, 2015 at Pharos University in Alexandria, Egypt.
This conference will provide a platform for pharmaceutical researchers, academics, undergraduate students, industrial pharmaceutical executives, investors, marketing people and governmental policymakers from different countries to showcase their know-how and experiences in the field of pharmaceutical sciences. Challenges and opportunities will be discussed through exchange of ideas and collaboration.
National Pharmaceutical Links:
- Academy of Scientific Research and Technology
- Cultural Affairs and Missions Sector
- Damanhour University
- Egyptian Drug Authority
- Egyptian Knowledge Bank (Registration steps)
- Egyptian Pharmacists Syndicate
- Egyptian Universities Libraries Consortium(Registration steps)
- Faculty of Pharmacy Ain shams university
- Faculty of Pharmacy Cairo University
- Faculty of Pharmacy Future University in Egypt
- Faculty of Pharmacy Minia University
- General Scientific Research Department
- German University in Cairo
- National Authority for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Education
- National e-learning center
- October 6 University
- Science and Technology Development Fund
- Supreme Council of Universities
- Tanta University
- The Binational Fulbright commission in Egypt
- Zagazig University
Summer field training in Faculty of Pharmacy is required in two summers after the Junior and Mid-senior studies with a total of 360 hours (awarded 12 CR). Junior field training is the pre-requisite training for mid-senior field training in which juniors involve only the community pharmacy training, while mid-seniors expand the training fields to hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and medical representatives in addition to the community pharmacies. The final result is shown as NP (Non-grade pass) or NF (Non-grade fail). All students pass the required field training are given certificates by the Faculty. All training records are retrievable in the electronic database. Click here