The objective of establishing drug research Center:
- Benefit from the various disciplines in the field of pharmaceutical applications to conduct scientific research.
- Link scientific research to drug industry and social problems.
- Benefit from the expertise of scientists and young researchers for the discovery of new drugs.
- Encourage scientific research team in various fields for the development of the profession of pharmacy.
- Provide researchers studying for MSc and PhD with modern facilities to do their best and provide an opportunity for creativity and innovation in scientific research.
- Work as one team with a common interest, the measure of which is to succeed in achieving the goal, taking into consideration the facilities provided by the Faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing at PUA.
- Provide experience and consultation for drug production sector and contribute for linking the university with society and industry.
- Organize workshops and training courses in the field of health care and pharmacy.
Specialized laboratories in Drug Research Center:
Instrumental Research Lab which is concerned with:
- Analysis of drugs by using chromatography detectors, spectroscopic techniques, among other measuring equipment.
- Characterization of extracted active ingredients of plants by using chromatographic and spectroscopic techniques, among others.
- Assessment of raw materials and drug constituents according to pharmaceutical standard by using different analytical techniques.
Pharmaceutics Lab which is concerned with :
- Studying the stability of pharmaceutical products.
- Developing new pharmaceutical products.
- Setting bioequivalence of pharmaceutical products.
- Setting drug release rates.
- Conducting studies on the problems of pharmaceutical industry.
Pharmacology Lab which is concerned with:
- Studying the effects of different drugs on experimental animals.
- Determining therapeutic and toxic doses as well as safety margin of pharmaceuticals.
- The lab contains a polygraph device which can perform in-vitro experiments to study the effects of drugs and measure animal’s blood pressure using tail-cuff and other methods.
Medical Chemistry Lab:
Concerned with the following:
- Formation of new drug formulas
- Invent new means for drug analysis
- Drug and raw material control
Natural Products Chemistry Lab which is concerned with:
- The discovery of Egyptian plants suitable as raw materials for the pharmaceutical industry.
- Developing new herbal formulations.
- Extracting and isolating active substances from medicinal plants.
- Conducting pharmaceutical quality control on raw materials and herbal preparations.
Pharmaceutical Microbiology Lab is concerned with:
- Microbiological testing on pharmaceutical products.
- Conducting research to discover new anti-microbial agents.
- Screening for potential antimicrobial activity for newly discovered chemicals.
- Using biotechnology to identify and control microorganisms.
Drug Quality Control Lab is concerned with:
- Performing quality control of raw materials and final products.
- Assessing different pharmaceutical formulations.
- Studying the stability of pharmaceutical formulations.
- Analyzing the different constituents of pharmaceutical formulations.
Animal House is concerned with:
- Providing researchers with different experimental animals to conduct pharmacological research experiments as well as a suitable place for conducting and following up these experiments
- Distinctive , air conditioned hall suitable for conferences, seminars and workshops
- Equipped with the latest advanced audio-visual devices
- Suitable for 100 persons
List of equipments in Drug Research Center:
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Gas Chromatography (GC-MS)
- UV Spectrophotometer.
- Horizontal Laminar Flow
- Electrophoresis System
- Polygraph .AD Instrument
- Cooling Shaker
- Tablet machine
- Dry granulator
- Wet granulator
- Coating pan
- Tapped density Tester
- Friability Tester
- Sieve shaker
- Hardness tester
- Projection microscope
- IR moisture Meter
Chairman of Drug Research Center
Professor Maged El Ghazouly
Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing
Drug Research Center
The Faculty of Pharmacy and Drug Manufacturing (the 6th floor)
For more information, please contact Assistant Prof. Ossama Abdullatef
The Executive Manager of the Drug Research Center
TEL : + (203)3877012/080
Fax: + (203)3877149