The faculty of Engineering organized the “Towards Sustainable Tomorrow” competition sponsored by Birla Carbon Egypt for the third year in a row. This was held on Tuesday, 28 July 2020. The competition aims to choose creative projects that serve sustainability. The value of 36000 LE was allocated for the awards of the first three places: 17000 LE for the 1st place, 12000 LE for the 2nd place and 7000 for the 3rd place. It is worth mentioning that 6 projects participated in this competition from Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Petrochemical Engineering Departments. The judging panel was comprised of:
- Mona Gamal Eldeen, the Dean of the School of Energy Resources, Environment, Chemical and Petrochemical Engineering at the Egypt-Japan University of Science and Technology. (Head of the judging panel)
- Waael Almaghlany, the Head of Mechanical Engineering Department at Alexandria University.
- Boshra Salem, the Consultant of the President of the University for International Relations and Projects.
- Mohamed Naeem, the Vice Dean of the Faculty of Engineering.
The electrical engineering project “IoT Approach for Sustainable Green Campus” won the 2nd place in the competition. It was submitted under the supervision of Dr. Mohammed Adb El Karim.
Petrochemical Engineering Department participated with 2 projects:
- “Synthesis of Ion Exchange Resins for Ammonia Removal Based on Waste Polymers” which was submitted under the supervision of Dr. Rania Farouk.
- “Recycling of Polyester Fabric Scraps” won 3rd place in the competition. It was submitted under the supervision of Dr. Ehsan Nafed.
Mechanical Engineering Department participated with 3 projects:
- “Design, Modeling and Performance Analysis of Solar Still” which was submitted under the supervision of Dr. Mohamed El Saied Youssef.
- “Design and Optimization of Network Solar” won the 1st place in the competition. It was submitted under the supervision of Dr. Mohamed El Naqib.
- “Home Scale Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT)” won the 2nd place in the competition. It was submitted under the supervision of Dr. Sameh Tawfik.