In the framework of the keenness of Pharos University to keep up with the latest technology and equipment in engineering sciences, the Petrochemical Engineering Department organized a workshop entitled “HYSYS Program and Its Applications” that was held on Tuesday, 12 November 2019 in room E-320 at 12:00 pm. The workshop keynote speaker was Eng. Mohamed Hawary, a demonstrator in the Petrochemical Engineering Department. HYSYS program is one of the most important programs used by chemical, refining and petrochemical engineers.
The applications of HYSYS program:
- It is used in the simulation work of petroleum, natural gas, and petrochemical factories and polymers.
- It has features for all the industrial units required for most industries and includes a complete database of materials used in the above mentioned industries with the possibility of adding other materials or compounds.
- It helps us designing industrial units such as: – reactors – distillation towers – absorption units – heat exchangers and many other industrial units.
- It calculates temperature, pressure and rate of production.
- It helps us to choose compressors and pumps suitable for any industrial process.
- It helps us to calculate the production cost of the project.
During the workshop, several experiments, including designing distillation towers, were conducted using this program. A large number of the Petrochemical Engineering Department students, faculty members and teaching assistants attended the workshop. It is worth mentioning that a series of workshops will be held to activate the usage of the HYSYS program in the department.