PM 202 – Medical microbiology
Course lecturer :
- Prof Dr Hoda ElShamy
- Ass.Prof Dr Gihan elbatouti
- Dr Nevine Lotfy
Course assistant :
- T.A:Ibrahim Ashraf abd elwahab
- Ph: Heba Hesham
- Ph:Heba Ossama
- Ph, Ghada Ossama
- PH karim khairy
- Ph: Nada Elmeniawy
- Ph :Yasmine Ashraf
Course objectives :
Recognize bacteria implicated in human diseases along with their underlying pathogenesis Correlate the clinical picture with laboratory information to establish a diagnosis. Identify and recall pathogenic fungi along with some human fungal diseases. The practical study involves the development of skills required for safe handling and identification of infectious agents
Course description :
Bacterial structure genetics and metabolism, virulence factors and normal flora Gram positive cocci Gram positive bacilli Spore forming bacilli Enteric Gram negative bacilli Vibrio &Parvobacteriacae Mycobacteria Atypical bacteria Viruses and fungi
Course assessment :
- Written exams to assess knowledge and understanding and intellectual skills a2.
- Practical exam to assess the acquired professional skills a3.
- Oral exam to assess knowledge and understanding and intellectual skills a3.
- Research and assignments to assess intellectual skills, professional skills and general and transferable skills b1.
- Course work , practical: weekly b2.
- Quiz: Week 5 b3.
- Mid-term exam: Week 8 b4.
- Final practical exam week 12-13 b4.
- Final written exam: Week 15-17 b5.
- Oral exam Week 15
Recommended text books :
Tortora, GJ, Funke, BR, Case CL. (2010) Microbiology, an Introduction. 10th edition. Pearson Education, Inc
Recommended refrences :
1. Levinson W. Review of medical microbiology and immunology. 12th ed. New York, Chicago, San Francisco, London, New Delhi, Sydney, Toronto: The McGraw Hill Comp; 2014. ISBN:97800717928758.
2. Ryan KJ, Ray CG, Sherris JC, editors. Sherris medical microbiology: An introduction to infectious diseases. 4th ed. New York, Chicago, San Francisco, London, New Delhi, Sydney, Toronto: The McGraw Hill Comp; 2014. ISBN-9781259255182
3. 1- Harvey RA. Microbiology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007.