PC 206 /PHR 224 – Analytical Chemistry II
Course lecturer :
- Dr. Mona Abdel Moneim
- Dr. Karin Magdi
Course assistant :
- Ph. Nourhan Al Ashkar
- T.A. Menna Hadad
Course objectives :
To build on the content of Analytical Chemistry I (PC 104) by introducing the fundamen-tal aspects of oxidation-reduction titrations. To give an introduction to electroanalytical methods which utilize potentiometry, con-ductimetry, and similar techniques.
Course description :
- Oxidation-reduction reactions, electrochemical cells, electrode potentials, potential of electrochemical cells and concentration cells.
- Theory of oxidation-reduction titrations, equilibrium constants for redox reactions, redox titration curves and oxidation-reduction indicators.
- Applications of oxidation-reduction titrations, application of standard reductants and standard oxidants.
- Potentiometric methods, reference electrodes, liquid junction potential, indicator elec-trodes and membrane electrodes.
- Instruments for measuring cell potentials, direct potentiometric measurements, potenti-ometric titrations and measurement of pH.
- Conductimetry and conductimetric titrations and similar techniques.
- The laboratory sessions involve redox titrations using potassium permanganate, potas-sium dichromate, iodine and potassium bromate as well as pH measurement and con-ductimetry.
Course assessment :
Assessment Form % Grades
- -Mid-term: 10% 30 marks
- -Practical& Assignments 20 % 60 marks
- – Interactive learning 10% 30 marks -Final exam: 50% 150 marks
- – Oral exam: 10% 30 marks
Recommended text books :
- Quantitative Chemical Analysis, Daniel C. Harris, 7th Ed., W.H. Freeman and Company, 2007.
- Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry , D.A. Skoog , D.M. West, F.J. Holler and S.R. Crouch , 8th Ed., Brooks/Cole, 2004.
- The British Pharmacopoeia, Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, London, UK (2010).
- The United States Pharmacopeia, 30th edition, “The Official Compendia of Standards” United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., Asian Edition, Washington, D.C. (2007).
Recommended refrences :
c1. The United States Pharmacopeia, 38 “-National (USB 38) Formulary 33” United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., Asian Edition, Washington, D.C. (2014). European Pharmacopeia 8.0 (2014) c2. The British Pharmacopoeia, Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, London, UK (2014).