PHR 554 - Drug Biotechnology
Course lecturer :
- Dr. Nevien Lotfy
- Dr. Ingy El-Soudany
Course assistant :
- Ph. Heba Hisham
Course objectives :
1. Become familiar with terminology in different biotechnology areas
2. Demonstrate the capability of biological systems as tools for drug technology
3. List techniques and methodologies for the synthesis of biopharmaceuticals
4. Aware of essential molecular biotechnology methods
5. Interpret the overall impact of new technology events on the future of healthcare
Course description :
The course provides students with basic information about the application of biotechnology procedures in the pharmaceutical fields. In addition, it acquires preliminary skills in gene cloning and other gene technology procedures as tools for the synthesis of biopharmaceuticals.
Course assessment :
Semester Work 30% Mid Term Examination 20% Final Term Examination 50%
Recommended text books :
- 1. Walsh G. (2011) Pharmaceutical Biotechnology: Concepts & Applications, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, England
- 2. Walsh G. (2013). Biopharmaceuticals: biochemistry and biotechnology. John Wiley & Sons.
- 3. Hartwell LM, Hood L, Goldberg ML, Reynolds AE, Silver LM.(2015) Genetics from Genes to Genome.
- 4th edition. Mc Graw Hill Co.