EP213 – Organic Chemistrty II
Course lecturer :
Course assistant :
Course objectives :
At the end of this course the students will be well known of the following:
- Classification and nomenclature of aromatic compounds.
- Physical and chemical properties of benzene.
- Sulfonation of benzene ring and other derivatives of benzene.
- Nitration of benzene and other derivative of aromatic compounds.
- General mechanism for electrophilic aromatic substitution.
- General mechanism for neucluphilic aromatic substitution.
- Halogenation reaction for benzene and aromatic compounds.
- Oxidation ,reduction of aromatic compounds.
- Friedel –Crafts Alkylation of Benzene,Friedel –Crafts Acylation of Benzene.
- Polymerization reactions.
- Hydrolysis of aromatic compounds.
- Acylation &Alkylationof aromatic hydrocarbons.
Course description :
A continuation of organic chemistry reaction mechanism and synthesis pathway sulphonations, nitration, oxidations, polymerization…..etc. Specific classes of compounds derivatives.
Course assessment :
Assessment (1) . Laboratory Manual Weekly during the semester 5% Assessment (2) . Mid tem exam Week 8 20% Assessment (3) Work sheets & presentations. According to schedule 10% Assessment (4) four quizzes weeks 4,7,11,14 5% Assessment (5) Final Laboratory Exam Week 15 10%
Recommended text books :
“Fundamentals of Organic Chemistry “ ,Six Edition ,Joun McMurry and Eric Simanek,2017.
Recommended refrences :
“Organic Chemistry ,Fifth Edition,Paula Yurkanis Bruice,2015.