EE225/EE225!! – Solid State Electronics
Course lecturer :
Dr. Engy ElNayal
Course assistant :
Eng. Mohamed Fekri
Course objectives :
To enable students to:
1- Introducing Solid state electronics Concept to students studying for Electrical Engineering
2- Students should have a good knowledge about semiconductors and superconductivity of materials 3- Testing of digital circuits, systems should be understood
4- Upgrading their way of thinking towards new technology
5- Applying all theoretical concepts to practical world.
6- Distinguish thermal and optical properties, p-n junctions, and metal-semiconductor contacts
7- Describe blocks of semiconductor devices
8- list mini projects in insulators and semiconductors
9- Summarize all Solid state electronics basics.
10- Design and present comparative studies between different semiconductors types.
Course description :
1. Fundamentals of semiconductors and basic building blocks of semiconductor devices.
2. Crystal structures, chemical bonds, rotation, and vibration
3. The statistical description of electron gas and the free-electron theory of metals.
4. The motion of electrons in periodic lattices
5. Energy bands, Fermi levels
6. Semiconductors, and insulators.
7. Detection of electrons and holes in semiconductors, impurity effects, generation and recombination, mobility, and other electrical properties of semiconductors.
8. Thermal and optical properties, p-n junctions, and metal-semiconductor contacts
9. Superconductivity and techniques of fabrications and Magnetism in matter
10. Introducing nuclear physics (reactions, fission, fusion, and nuclear power(
Course assessment :
Quizzes 10% Reports & Assignments 10% Mini-projects 10% Mid Term Written Exam 20% Final Written Exam 50%
Recommended text books :
“Fundamental of Solid State Engineering’, Manijeh Razrghi,2002John W. Jewett – California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Recommended refrences :
James Patterson . Bernard Bailey ,\”Introduction to the Theory of Solid-State Physics\”, 2nd edition ,Springer