EE 354 – Mobile Communication Systems
Course lecturer :
- Dr. Shawki Shaaban
Course assistant :
- Eng. Hanan El-Gammal
Course objectives :
To enable students to be familiar with the principles and techniques of different modern mobile communication systems, and to analyze and design some of these mobile communication systems.
Course description :
- Comparison between 2G (GSM), 3G (UMTS) & 4G (LTE) mobile systems.
- Parameters affecting data rate in mobile & wireless communication.
- Adaptive Modulation & Coding (AMC) for mobile communication.
- Complete 2G system design.
- Comparison between different 2G systems.
- 3G based on CDMA technique.
- Spread spectrum techniques & codes.
- mobile phones health hazards, risks and dangers.
- Multiplexing techniques in Public Switching Telephony System (PSTN): TDM & FDM.
Course assessment :
Class Works including Solving Assignment Problems, Reports & Presentations and IT applications: 10%. Drop Quizzes: 10%. Practical works and mini-projects: 10%. Mid-term written exam: 20%. Final written exam: 50%.
Recommended text books :
Dr Shawki Shaaban, Lecture notes and examples on Communication Systems, Alexandria, 2016 + Exercise Book.
Recommended refrences :
Simon Haykin, Michael Mohr, Communication Systems, 5th edition, Wiley, 2013.