ELC Rules and Regulations effective Spring 2019 (Levels zero to three)
- All classes are 2 hours long, and they run twice a week. The ELC provides morning and afternoon classes. The morning classes start at 8:30 and end at 10:30 a.m., 10:30 to 12:30 while the afternoon classes start at 1:30 and end at 3:30 p.m.
- You are obliged to attend in the group assigned to you when registering in the ELC.
- It is important that you hear your name called by your teacher at the beginning of each class, and that you answer back “Present” in a clear and loud voice so that your teacher can mark you as present. The same applies to when the student affairs representative comes to class to call your name once again. In case you do not reply, you will be considered absent for this class.
- A first warning will be issued when you are absent for 3 classes.
- A second warning will be issued if you are absent for 6 classes.
- A denial (DN) will be issued if your absence exceeds 6 classes, i.e. 7 classes and above, resulting in not allowing you to sit for the final exam.
- It is important for you to check your email on the University website to check messages of warnings and DNs. Warnings will also be posted regularly on the ELC section of Pharos University website.
- If you come to class without a book and/or a workbook, you will be considered absent. As a result, you will not be allowed to attend the class.
- You are expected to be in class on time (i.e. at 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. for the morning classes or 1:30 p.m. for the afternoon ones).
- If you are 15 minutes late (8:45, 10:45, 1:45), the class will count as completely absent.
- If you leave in the middle of the session (1 hour after the beginning of the session), you will be counted as half absent.
- You are neither allowed to skip the class nor leave in the middle of it for the sake of any other lecture since all English classes are synchronized with the other classes in all departments. If you leave the class to attend any other class than English, the day will be counted as an absence or half absence depending on the time when you leave.
- If you are a graduating student or taking English (repeating the course) at a later term than your fellow students, then you will need to coordinate your class schedule with the Director of the ELC. In case conflict cannot be resolved, you will be advised to drop your English class and take it at a later time.
- You will not be allowed early leaves unless it is an emergency. All emergency leaves need to be approved first from the Director of the ELC.
- You will be excused for your absence only in case of presenting a written medical excuse from the university clinic. All medical excuses approved by the University clinic should be presented directly after your return to classes to the Student Affairs Representative. Otherwise, you may be subject to receiving a warning.
- You will also be excused for your absence in case you are traveling abroad. However, you will need to present your passport to prove your departure and arrival dates.
IV. Course-Work: (Quiz /Speaking Quiz/ Writing Quiz)
- Your course-work consists of 1 quiz, 1 midterm exam, 1 speaking quiz and 1 writing quiz.
- There are no makeup quizzes without an approved official excuse.
- Plagiarism is denounced worldwide. Hence, you are not allowed to copy any published written works: printed, online, or a colleague’s work.
- In case of plagiarism, you will be required to sign on the plagiarized material. It will be photocopied. You will keep the copy and the instructor will keep the original for future reference. As a result, the instructor will deduct the mark of the plagiarized section(s).
- All books are available in the Copy Center located on the ground floor of the Faculty of Business and Administrative Building (Building D).
- Once you register for your English course in the ELC, you will not be allowed to attend the class without both books (course book & work book).
- If you enrolled for the courses in 2012 or earlier (e.g. 2011 or 2010), you will need to confirm first with the ELC that your name is in the Copy Center register, so you could pay for the books.
VI. Code of Conduct and Ethics::
- You are strictly prohibited from smoking inside both the classroom and the ELC floor.
- You are not allowed to eat or to drink any beverages, except for water, inside the classroom during lecture time.
- You are held accountable for the cleanliness of your desk and classroom, notably if you eat or drink in the classroom during the break time.
- You are to switch your mobile phone off or to silent mode during lecture time. In case of emergencies, you can use it outside the classroom only with permission from the teacher.
- Any misconduct or immoral behavior will be met with an appropriate penalty by the ELC according to the degree of each case.
- If you encounter a problem in the classroom, which may affect your learning performance, kindly communicate your complaint to your teacher in order to overcome it rapidly and continue learning with restored fine performance.
- If you would like to make a complaint (or even a suggestion to improve your class or the like) anonymously, you can write it down on a piece of paper and place it inside the ELC Suggestion / Complaint Box.
- In case of urgent or imminent complaints that your teacher could not give aid about, you are entitled to make a complaint to the Director of the ELC, whether orally or even better in a written form in Arabic or English. However, after delivering your complaint, you will have to await the response at the date and time given to you.