FD422 – Design and Making Special needs clothes
Prof. Dr. Nahla Ahmed El-Deeb
Course lecturer :
Engineer: Marwa Mahmoud Abd Elhamid Issa
Course assistant :
– Understand the raw material, fabric type and accessories needed to design special needs’ clothes.
– Highlight the common types of ability lack and the design requirements for each.
– Identify the design specifications in order to achieve the comfort for adaptive clothes.
– Develop various sewing skills which significantly affect on the special needs’ clothes.
– Highlight the differences among various disabilities and its influence on the pattern making process
Course objectives :
This course aims to study the certain requirements of garments with special needs and the design comfort according to the common type of ability lack and the used approaches in design and making special needs’ clothes.
Course description :
Inter active learning 10 Midterm Exam 10 Students’ Presentation & assignment 20 Final Evaluation 60 Total 100
Course assessment :
كتب من داخل مكتبة الكلية:
1) Singer, 2009, The complete guide to sewing.
2) Regan, C.L., 2008. Apparel product design and merchandising strategies. Pearson. كتب من خارج مكتبة الكلية:
1) Bragança, S., Castellucci, I., Gill, S., Matthias, P., Carvalho, M. and Arezes, P., 2018. Insights on the apparel needs and limitations for athletes with disabilities: the design of wheelchair rugby sports-wear. Applied ergonomics, 67, pp.9-25.
2) Kabel, A., Dimka, J. and McBee-Black, K., 2017. Clothing-related barriers experienced by people with mobility disabilities and impairments. Applied ergonomics, 59, pp.165-169.
3) Wang, Y., Wu, D., Zhao, M. and Li, J., 2014. Evaluation on an ergonomic design of functional clothing for wheelchair users. Applied ergonomics, 45(3), pp.550-555.
4) Geršak, J., 2013. Design of clothing manufacturing processes: A systematic approach to planning, scheduling and control. Elsevier.
5) Burgo, F., 2013. Il modellismo: tecnica del modello sartoriale e industriale donna-uomo-bambino/a: metodo professionale bilingue. Istituto di Moda Burgo.
6) McCann, J., 2013. Smart protective textiles for older people. In Smart Textiles for Protection (pp. 244-275). Woodhead Publishing.
Recommended text books :