PTIM 338 – Geriatric Physical Therapy
Dr. Hamed Shalabiea
Course lecturer :
Course assistant :
By the end of this course the students will be able to:
- Design a program of physical therapy that helps to improve the elderly subjects’ physical performance and activities of daily living.
- Develop a fair individual assessment for elderly subjects based on good understanding of the age-related changes aiming to set a suitable physical therapy program.
- Provide a suitable environment using good adjusted rehabilitation measures with help of well-trained caregivers to improve the activities of daily living of elderly subjects.
- Evaluate geriatric health status.
- Set up a plan of treatment.
Course objectives :
This course focuses on health care of elderly people. It aims to promote health by preventing and treating diseases and disabilities in older adults. There is no set age at which patients may be under the care of a geriatrician
Course description :
- Total of 300 marks
- 10 marks Quiz
- 10 marks assignment
- 30 marks Midterm Exam
- 50 marks final practical exam
- 50 marks final oral exam
- 50 Clinical Hospitals.
- 100 marks final written exam
Course assessment :
Oxford Handbook of Geriatric Medicine (2012) Lesley K. Bowker. Geriatric Physical Therapy(2011): 3rd edition, by Guccione, Wong and Avers Principles of Geriatric Physiotherapy (2007) by Narinder Kaur Multani and Satish Kumar Verma
Recommended text books :
• Geriatric Physical Therapy(2002) A Clinical Approach, 3rd edition, by Carole B. Lewis and Jennifer M. Bottomley.
• Geriatric Rehabilitation Manual(2007) 2nd edition, By Timothy L. Kauffman.
• Geriatric Physical Therapy (2012) Andrew A. Guccione.